Thursday 1 May 2014

Week Two Of The Great Scrap Challenge

I have decided, fairly precipitously this morning whilst trying to find something which may or may not exist that it is time to clean out my scrap basket.

Like all sewists and crafters, I have an endless supply of scraps and every now and then, the cup runneth over.

So I am setting myself a challenge to make some meaningful sewn item each week using the contents of my scrap basket and NOTHING ELSE!

Without further ado, let me introduce the star of the show...small fanfare....my scrap basket.


As you can see, it is not enormous but I have a lot crammed in there and I want to see what I can come up with. I love challenges like this because I force myself to be really creative and actually think. Anyone can buy everything new and then cut into a lovely new piece of fabric on every whim.
I have another stash of scraps of wadding, backing and linen pieces and because they are scraps too, I am including them in my challenge. They just didn't look so good in their photo!

Okay, let's get on with it shall we?  Here is a first glimpse of the project...


This week, I am making Zakka coasters using linen bits, some binding from the last six quilts (I always have a bit left over and I keep this in a box). I have some winter white polar fleece which I am using for wadding and that's about it really.
You will also need a water soluble marker and something round to draw around (about 11cm wide). Set your machine up for free motion embroidery.

Step one is to go through the stash and find pieces. I am making the coasters 11cm wide because I have enough linen scraps to make six coasters of this size. You can make them any size at all.


Step two is to layer a piece of linen, a piece of polar fleece and a piece of plain backing fabric and pin them. Use the water soluble marker to draw a circle on at the same time.
Now, begin in the centre and draw a spiral radiating to the outer edge of the circle like this....


With your sewing machine set up just right for your model (I cannot give specifics here), sew along the spiral to the outside. Stabilise the edge too. Then cut the coaster out, just outside of the line.


I have one here with the front and the back visible so that you can see what I mean. You will notice that the sewing line is not super perfect, it isn't supposed to be, it should look hand drawn, almost doodled.

The next and last step is to bind with bias binding. As I mentioned earlier, I always have bits over from larger quilt projects and it was not hard to find the right colours. I have chosen some primary and secondary colours from the stash but you can choose any at all. The idea of having them all different was that I wasn't sure how much I could lay my hands on without breaking the challenge rule.


When the binding is on, it really looks the business! I always hand bind my quilts because I like it but the choice is up to you.

This is a dead easy and very stylish project which anyone can attempt. Most sewists will have everything that they need. If linen is not to hand, try osnaburg or even calico. Indian Head Cloth looks nice and this project will work in just about any solid colour so don't be put off. Just dig deep into the stash and see what you can find.

Coming Next Time......
A heart mug rug with a rainbow centre.

Thanks for stopping by!
Debs
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - I would love and welcome any feedback. Debs xxx